Chris Smith and Dave Lindeman have been working for over 3 years now with the Southeast Kansas Community Action Program (SEK-CAP, Inc) in Girard, Kansas on a contract to provide technical assistance regarding program evaluation and continuous improvement processes. One significant result of this work was an additional contract to provide technical assistance to SEKCAP, Inc in the form of developing and evaluating mental health services for its early childhood programs (Head Start and Early Head Start).
This project will involve a significant collaborative effort between five Southeast Kansas mental health centers, SEK-CAP, Inc, and KUCDD to achieve its goal. The goal of the program is to develop and evaluate a comprehensive mental health system for all of the center-based providers in the SEK-CAP, Inc system in 10 counties in Southeast Kansas. To ensure successful implementation of the project, each partner will undertake critical responsibilities including
- Collaborate with SEK-CAP, Inc and KUCDD to develop plans to provide trained professionals who meet service provision guidelines for SEK-CAP classrooms.
- Provide services in SEK-CAP, Inc classrooms according to developed guidelines.
- Bill for services rendered according to contractual guidelines.
- Collect and report program evaluation data according to evaluation guidelines.
- Collaborate with KUCDD to provide guidelines for trained service personnel who will work in SEK-CAP, Inc classrooms.
- Provide guidelines for service provision in classrooms.
- Provide guidelines for appropriate billing standards.
- Provide evaluation guidelines in collaboration with KUCDD.
- Develop a comprehensive model of evaluation for SEK-CAP, Inc mental health services that allow for the integration of child, family, and community outcomes.
- Develop tools that allow for the timely and reliable collection of data for children and their families being served in SEK-CAP, Inc classrooms.
- Develop tools for measuring the intensity and scope of mental health services provided in SEK-CAP, Inc classrooms.
- Develop methods for collecting and analyzing data that allows for timely return of data from providers to KUCDD.
- Develop methods of data analysis that provide estimates of program effects and ongoing needs.
- Provide annual reports of findings.
- Develop a collaborative training model for mental health providers that promotes a continuity with existing SEK-CAP, Inc models.
- Develop options for delivery of training model including distance and in-service models.